no matter where you go, there you are



Monday, November 29, 2010

throw off the bowlines. sail away from the safe harbor. catch the trade winds in your sails. explore. dream. discover. - mark twain

I'm going to write a more detailed "reflections" kind of post, but before doing so, I thought it would be good to write down my "conclusion" entry from my travel notebook. Word for word, these were my thoughts as I was sitting in the airport waiting to board my plane back to Boston. Some of it might make no sense because I was just writing my stream of consciousness, but it gives a good picture of all that happened in my three weeks abroad.

Paris
  • great city for history, architecture, art
  • not wild about prices for things and people on street trying to talk to you
  • Notre Dame was my fave 
  • hostel okay; staff wasn't the friendliest; bad breakfast
  • Metro was good; got me places 
Tours
  • Chateaus - gorgeous
  • Tours' cathedral - cold, but really neat
  • tour made me sleepy but I don't think I missed much of the English narration
  • hotel - good; wish there'd been breakfast; far walk; shower took awhile to heat; best towel ever!
Pompeii
  • really interesting place
  • wish I knew booklet had descriptions of each place
  • huge, but I saw most of it
  • more detailed art/decor stuff made it fantastic rather than the architecture
Rome
  • crazy city drivers
  • very interesting things; both Ancient and Catholic
  • Renaissance Art - fantastic
  • sculptures throughout city - cool
  • each church pretty distinctive
  • monk bones!
Siena
  • STUPID BUS SYSTEM
  • Duomo etc. actually very nice and interesting; Tuscan overlook one of my fave places
  • Piazza del Campo - very nice
  • gelato!
Florence
  • everything had an admission fee that wasn't cheap
  • LOVED DAVID!!!
  • black and white marble design of Tuscan churches
  • all had fancy facades but plain sides
  • illegal bag selling
Venice
  • it's own planet and culture
  • lots of churches
  • getting lost is easy
  • boat pass - wonderful
  • flooding! so neat!
Munich
  • overall - underwhelming compared to previous cities
  • Olympic Tower - overpriced
  • Marienplatz - neat/awesome
  • Dachau - depressing
  • had lots of little things with nothing overwhelmingly awesome
  • Nymphenburg - HUGE
Innsbruck
  • My FAVORITE place!
  • gorgeous weather, gorgeous mountains
  • cheap, cutest, central hotel. LOVED
  • crystals were trippy/weird
  • Nordpark my fave; trampling around 2 ft. of snow on the Alps with parachuters and rock cliffs
Salzburg
  • such an awesome, old, old, city
  • SoM!! - all the filming places
  • wish mountain wasn't closed
  • saw the Untersberg! Gorgeous! Alps diff!
  • panorama painting and my poster
Vienna
  • a lot like Munich
  • not a lot to do for 3 days without spending a lot of money
  • everything had admission
  • enjoyed art museum a lot - wish I could have seen all, but I saw all paintings
  • Karlskirche - best church
  • a lot hindered by crowds and Vienna's lack of herding abilities and awful space layout
  • royalty history- very interesting
And though this has nothing to do with my thoughts on my trip, I have to add the last comment I made in the journal, from the airplane, because I don't remember it at all and I find it hilarious. It's also a great conclusion as its not a conclusion at all..."someone keeps farting; it smells."

No comments:

Post a Comment