no matter where you go, there you are



Friday, May 14, 2010

Cece's Advice #4: In Italy, watch out for moving vehicles

Cece's Advice #4: In Italy, watch out for moving vehicles

When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make you comfortable. It is designed to make its own people comfortable – Clifton Fadimanx

I live in Massachusetts; we are notorious for having crazy drivers and we tend to make up our own rules of the road. So it takes a lot for me to be jarred by insane people behind the wheel of a vehicle. But after only one day in Rome I knew that in the future I had to be very careful of Italian drivers. Now I'm not saying they're bad drivers; they're just crazy. There are a lot of cars on the road and with all the unpredictable mopeds, there are just a lot more moving vehicles to watch out for. You must be wary of all times that a random vehicle may fly by out of nowhere.

Even if a car appears to be slowing down to let you cross a street, wait a moment to make sure. I can't count the number of times I thought the car was slowing and it was, but it didn't show signs of it until right before stopping. They won't hit you, but it gives the heart a little defibrillation. A direct quote from my European notebook, "I fear for my life when crossing the street." So if ever in Italy...be safe and look both ways before crossing the street. Then before taking your first step, do it again.



And a third time never hurt as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment